View Single Post
Old 03-23-2011, 09:37 PM
gaigai
Banned

Someone on here a while back asked me how I organize my genealogy. I have actually given some talks on this. I took a little bit of this and that from various sources. I do try to follow the KISS principle (Keep It Simple Stoopid).

I do keep a computer database with data and sources, but I haven't bothered to scan every document into it. I want my own copies of documents, so this is how I file the documentation I collect.

Data is kept in 3-ring binders (3-5 inches) and everything is in sheet protectors. I have more than 30 of these binders full of data, and a lot more to file!!

I divide my data by families, and further subdivided along Maternal and Paternal lines, and Direct Line ancestors and Collateral ancestors. For instance, my mother's maiden name is Ball. I have more data on that family than any other. So I have 7 large 3-ring binders full of data. I have enough to give direct-line ancestors their own binder.

Gr-gr-gr-grandfather Bernard & Gr-gr-grandfather Ferdinand Ball both have their own binders. Gr-grandpa Martin & Grandpa Virgil are in the same binder, because I don't have that much yet. (Photo 1) Wive's data are filed with their husband. Unmarried children are kept with the father. Married children are filed in "Collateral" or indirect line binders. I have enough collateral documentation I have had to divide the binders according to family members with the last name of Ball (Photo 2), and family members with other names (Photo 3). These fill up at least 4 more binders.

On my father's side, I am able to keep the collateral lines in only two binders. (Photo #5)

Each family starts with a family group sheet. I have deliberately printed these on colored paper so that they are readily visible in each binder. (Photo 4) If I have two or more families in one binder, I just look for the colored pages. I have a lot of documentation in my computer, and every now and then will print out a Family Group Sheet with updated data. I also use a documentation checklist, that tells me at a glance what data I have on each family, and what is missing. I am including a scan of that sheet.

As I come across data that needs to be filed, I put it in a special file folder and periodically will go through and file things away. (Photo 9)

I keep state and place data in separate binders. It comes in handy to see how county boundaries evolved. A document may exist in a county that you never thought of. (Photo 10).

The final photo reminds us all of the major rules of genealogy!!!

Filled out documentation checklist
[ATTACH=CONFIG]174040[/ATTACH]

Direct line Ancestors
[ATTACH=CONFIG]174099[/ATTACH]

Collateral relatives with the last name Ball
[ATTACH=CONFIG]174100[/ATTACH]

Collateral Ball relatives with other last names
[ATTACH=CONFIG]174101[/ATTACH]

Colored Family Group sheets make it easy to find a specific family
[ATTACH=CONFIG]174102[/ATTACH]

Paternal Collaterals fit in two binders
[ATTACH=CONFIG]174103[/ATTACH]

All Direct lines for this family fit in one bider
[ATTACH=CONFIG]174104[/ATTACH]

Documentation checklist (blank)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]174105[/ATTACH]

Documents to be filed
[ATTACH=CONFIG]174107[/ATTACH]

Place documentation
[ATTACH=CONFIG]174108[/ATTACH]

The major rules of Genealogy
[ATTACH=CONFIG]174109[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-174034.jpe   attachment-174093.jpe   attachment-174094.jpe   attachment-174095.jpe   attachment-174096.jpe  

attachment-174097.jpe   attachment-174098.jpe   attachment-174099.jpe   attachment-174101.jpe   attachment-174102.jpe  

attachment-174103.jpe