Old 03-24-2011, 03:26 AM
annesthreads

I can understand why you were hurt by what she said, but as someone who struggled with fulltime work until a few weeks ago, and all the frustrations of lack of time for quilting and other hobbies I also wonder if perhaps she was tired, stressed, worn out, and saw someone who, to her, seemed to have all the time that she longed for, and she thoughtlessly vented a bit of her frustration - no, that's not right, but forgiveable, maybe? Who knows without knowing her circumstnaces? Many, many people are not working for more possessions or because they're materialistic, but to keep a roof over their head and food on the table. The feeling of being trapped and no end in sight can feel very, very hard - I often had to pull myself up from envy of those who didn't do paid work, for whatever reason. The truth is, I think, that the grass is often greener - we're not seeing the whole picture when we look at other people's lives and think how good they look, and have no insight into all the problems that they may be struggling with. Just reading the posts on this board brings that home to me - lucky people who have lots of free time for quilting - yes, but who might also be struggling with chronic pain or other difficult circumstances.