View Single Post
Old 03-24-2011, 08:14 AM
gaigai
Banned

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
I just recently got into genealogy.....thank you for GREAT advice on filing!!! So far, I have a drawer full of files and it's frustrating to look for documentation.

BTW - I just found out there is a DeBord family cemetary in Ellijay, Georgia.....and guess where I happened to already have plans to be in May!!! yip - I'm going to Ellijay and now I'm doing some research there! YAY!
Good luck and have fun!! I think it's so much fun going on research trips. And my mom laughs that I can't pass an old cemetery without stopping. Don't forget to spend time at the county courthouse. Land and probate records are EXCELLENT sources, in addition to the vital statistics.

It was a dear friend of mine who taught me how to do correct, documented genealogy. (To this day I say to her face -laughingly- "Damn You Virginia"!) I went with her somewhere and she took a couple of her binders to share with a distant cousin. I sat looking at her stuff, and that inspired me to go home and organize MY stuff into a binder. A very SMALL binder. I remember looking at that one pitiful binder compared to her 20 or so large ones and feeling glum because she had so much more than I. Now we are about equal, and we tease each other all the time!! But it's also nice to have a friend who appreciates the work that goes into finding a particular piece of information.