Old 03-24-2011, 09:14 AM
BoJangles

[quote=qltndog]I have a question about cleaning my featherweight. I have been reading all the posts for a couple weeks and have read Billys tute on cleaning VSM. My machine is in good condition and I don't know if I want to take it completely apart to clean. I just want to remove the old grease and oil and put new grease and oil in it. Can I use a toothbrush and Kerosene to clean it without taking it apart? [ quote]

Qltndog, first no I would not take the bed off or completely take that FW apart. Yes, you can use kerosene or WD-40 or just oil to clean the machine. Yes, you can use a tooth brush, pipe cleaners, tulle, anything to get in and get the hardened grease out. Just be sure to clean all the WD-40 out if you use it, it will harden eventually. Take off the face plate and oil all the oil holes - about 11, and joints. Open the top little plate under the spool pin and oil, grease the gears. Open the bottom cover - under the machine - and oil the joints, grease the gears, grease the grease holes in the motor. You can remove the clutch and handwheel to clean that, but be sure to put it all back together exactly as it was. Also, use a flashlight to make sure there is no thread, lint in the bobbin area -- look from the top after you remove the slide plate and the bottom. Now oil all the oil places and she should purr like a kitten.

Nancy