Thread: e-bay goof up!
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2011, 01:28 PM
deplaylady

Originally Posted by Tennessee Suzi
Yesterday I was skimming through the quilting section of E-Bay and saw a double wedding ring quilt up for auction. Well....the bid was $46.00 so I decided to bid $47.00 and see what happens. Well, I hit confirm and as I did I noticed that my maximum bid was $4,700.00 instead of $47.00. Needless to say, I won the auction but the winning bid was $70.00. That was a little more than I could pay but knowing the rules, I made the bid and have to live with it. I did e-mail the seller to see if she would take sympathy on me, but I guess the money talked louder than I did. Be careful when you bid that you don't get a twitch and bid too high!
You sound like you honestly made a mistake. I would have taken pity on you. I was selling an iPhone for my DD and one bidder beat out another at the last minute. The next day they sent me a note saying they were sorry and that thier daughter had bid by mistake, etc. Looking at their bidding history, I saw they were bidding on two at the same time (won both) and went with the cheaper one. Of course by then the next highest bidder that would have gotten the phone (beat out by $20) was no longer interested. I had to file a non-paying bidder complaint to get my fees back. I couldn't even leave a negative for the bidder - sellers can't do that anymore. If the person doesn't want to pay for the item, there is absolutely nothing the sellers can do. At least you honestly made a mistake - the other person knew what they were doing. :-(