Old 03-24-2011, 01:50 PM
purplefiend

qltndog,
You don't need to take the motor off. Don't try to take the
bed off, just flip it up. Brush all the lint out of the bobbin area and bobbin case.
I service Featherweights. I use a toothbrush,sewing machine oil,
chennile craft sticks(aka:giant pipe cleaners), bamboo skewer, blue shop towels and strips of bridal netting type stuff. I remove the hand wheel and belt, so I can clean and oil the shaft that the handwheel goes on. Singer lube goes in the motor tubes, oil goes in oil holes in the machine, & anywhere else the manual says to. 1 drop of oil in the bobbin case base @ the 4 o'clock position. I change the motor belt and the rubber feet on the bottom of the machine, remove the screws and they will come off. Sometimes you need to dig the bed cushions out as they have melted. The plate under the spool pin can be moved to the side and you need to take the bamboo skewer and clean off all the old grease on the gears and then put new Singer lube on them.
Take off the throat plate and clean under there, make sure the finger of the bobbin case base goes back in between the throat plate springs when you put the plate back on. Take the bottom plate off and clean all the lint & gunk off, oil where needed and grease the gears on the
bottom.
Use the bamboo skewer to clean the bottom gears, just like you did under the spool pin.
The needle flat goes to the left(NFL) and threads right to left.
Sharon W.
Tender Loving 221 FW Care