View Single Post
Old 03-24-2011, 03:05 PM
kwendt

WOW!!!! They took out the fabric department before I could really start using it. Back then I was a new quilter (I still think of myself that way...); and I couldn't tell how to 'pick' good fabric from cheap fabric. It's taken me a while to be able to look and feel it, to see what seems good. It doesn't seem to matter if I'm at an LQS or Joannes.... there's always some fabric I'm leary of and some fabrics that seem alright to me.

A elderly lady who quilted for years, gave me a plastic bag of odds and ends of fabrics. Some of it was vintage.... and the fabric was much denser, only about 34" wide, seemed stiffer (prob. the sizing). It was noticably heavier than the LQS materials I had purchased. Almost seemed like home dec type, but had Cranston and Blank printed on the selvedges.

I will check out walmart to see if they have (in my particular store) these denser, heavier type of cottons. Since I do a lot of wall quilts and table runners, the medium weights are good for me too. I'm still learning!