View Single Post
Old 03-24-2011, 07:06 PM
Obsessed

I'm not *really* JTG-ing, but we're moving in June and I know that if I don't figure out my technique and get the first few blocks done now, I *will* fall behind before I even start.

I have enlarged my blocks by 175% to make 12 inch blocks. I've used plastic stencils and heavy starch to turn my edges under, and then clear monofilament and a narrow zigzag to attach my pieces. I considered fusing the pieces and then doing some sort of satin stitch, but since this is a quilt for a child, I am very concerned about fraying. Preparing the pieces for applique wasn't too time consuming. The most time consuming part was the embroidery - it took forever! There is an awful lot of it on a 12" block. I did get faster by the end of the block though. The embroidery brought back wonderful memories of my Grammy teaching me to embroider when I was little - and all the cute mushroom garden pillows that we made together (hey - it was the '70s - and all the appliances were avocado - it was all very stylish!).

Anyway, here it is - the first block of my daughter Ginger's "Baby Love" quilt! Thanks for looking.

Baby Love Block #9
[ATTACH=CONFIG]174505[/ATTACH]

Close up of some of the embroidery
[ATTACH=CONFIG]174506[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-174499.jpe   attachment-174500.jpe