View Single Post
Old 03-24-2011, 08:52 PM
debbieumphress

Originally Posted by np3
Originally Posted by gaigai
Originally Posted by sewingsuz
Has anyone else cut out an OBW and got 96 hexagons to put together and wonder why you did this. My daughter whom never has quilted cut it out Sunday and then left after visiting with me and the Hexagons?????? I figured I would put seven together maybe 4 days a week. I have 9 on design wall . OH my, what have I done. Suzanne
Suzanne, here is a faster way to sew the triangles together:

Lay your six triangles out in the pattern you like best. (I spend more time looking at the different patterns than sewing! LOL)

Now, pick up two triangles and sew them together.

Without cutting them from the machine, pick up two more and sew them together. (Remember to keep the orientation of the triangles the same)

Leave the second one under your presser foot, and cut the back one off.

Sew the third triangle to the set of two you cut off the machine.

Now, the set of three is under your presser foot. Cut the back two off the machine and sew the last triangle to it.

Now do the same with the next set, then the next, etc.

It goes really fast that way, you should be able to do a good dozen in an hour or so, and best of all, the halves of each hex are connected by the chain thread, keeping them together.

Good luck. It shouldn't take more than a couple of "sittings" for you to get all 96 sewn. Absolutely not any longer than it would take to sew the blocks for a conventional quilt.
That does sound faster. Now if I could just find the perfect fabric.
It's here in Texas. YOu can find it in May. I even have some great fabric already in my room which you will have access to. LOL. I have to say, words on here cannot be heard and expressions seen. All I can say is Dont' make me break out my flying monkeys. :)