View Single Post
Old 02-18-2009, 09:58 PM
Bevsie

Hi,

I am getting better at free motion quilting....every time I do it I am more pleased with the results!
I practiced...first I literally did the motions on paper with a pencil to get use to making those puzzle piece shapes. I then practiced on table runner size muslin squares with batting between.
Now I can do a runner or a lap size quilt and feel half comfortable doing it. I haven't conquered a large quilt yet.
I was taught to picture your quilt in quarters....start near the center and work in one quarter at a time, from the center out to the edges. It seems to work for me. On a small item I just do the whole thing. It takes practice, practice, practice! Remember to breathe....I tend to hold my breath. LOL
I sew on Babylock machines and I have a foot control and a start/stop button (sew without using the foot control). When I free motion I use the start stop button as I then don't have to worry about speed, it's controlled for me and I can just worry about moving the fabric with my hands. That's the trick of all tricks for me....not worrying about my speed (foot) and my hands.
I also like to do "loops" as you can crossover them....I picture making the capital letter L in cursive writing...just an image for my brain!
Big quilts I still pay a long arm quilter to do....maybe someday...sigh.... I do stitch in the ditch on them.
Good luck, keep at it, it is fun.

Bev