Old 03-24-2011, 09:38 PM
montanajan

Originally Posted by quiltsillysandi
Have a fabric yard sale....I'm sure they will come by car loads....Really sorry about your MIL...Hope she can recover and find her way again....Good Luck...

San
FL
My heart goes out to anyone facing bankruptcy - so sorry for them & for your stress too.

Few ideas:
1) Be careful about yard sales - many people do not want to pay the value of quality quilt fabric at yard sales. Don't we each want a bargain?
2) If you decide on a yard sale, advertise, advertise, advertise!!
3) I'd measure the pieces, roll each one separately (rubber band or tie??), identify the yardage on each piece, & clearly mark price per yard so you don't get someone saying, "I'll take it all for $25.00", or whatever. I know that's a lot of work.
4) If its all priced the same per yard, there's less haggling with prices - "You want xxx yards, at xxx per yard, that totals xxx." Have calculator handy!
5) If there is some quality quilt fabric & some not quite as nice, I'd split the difference & charge the same per yard for each yard of fabric - easier. Put up a big sign that says, "Quilt fabric, xxx per yard."

6) If you have the time & energy, you might try ebay selling per piece, or group like fabrics together (eg, "lot of 5 purple & violets" by color, or "lot of 8 coordinating FQ's", or "6 yds various reproduction prints", or "3 Hoffman prints"), etc.
7)Check out ebay prices first to get ideas of prices per yard fabric is selling.
8) "Buy It Now" is easier than having people bid. Ebay can walk you through how to list items for sale if you've never sold on the ebay site.
9) And if you do list on ebay, join PayPal - best way to assure you get paid on ebay, since some folks try to scam the seller, & PayPal is guaranteed & helps with disputes.
10) You can stuff a lot in flat rate box - the only way to ship, I'd say!

11) You could try selling on this site - there is a limit per week, but check to see if group of similar fabrics as 1 listing can count as '1' item - it could then be a large group of fabrics per listing.

*** I also agree with others that local guilds may be interested - we, for example, sew charity quilts for abused/neglected kids removed from their unsafe homes, & are always looking for more fabric. I'm sure there are groups in your area who do the same - ask about guilds at LQS. ***

Good luck with whatever you decide. You're an angel to help them out.