View Single Post
Old 03-25-2011, 08:27 AM
jillaine

I hope we can find a way to discuss differences without getting "sharp" with each other.

Like Jacquie, I generally dislike most results of the OBW/stack-and-whack. I love the THEORY behind it, but most of the results I've seen are way too busy for my eyes.

But I also see that alot of people really like this approach, so I'm trying to be curious: what is it people like about it, and what characteristics attract me more than others?

Someone recently posted an OBW that was done in black, white, grey and red. The fabric had more "negative space" in it-- i.e., background between elements (vs a mass of design elements crowded all together). There was also contrast. It also had a swirly black line connecting elements, and all these characteristics, I thought, made for a great result, not only in individual hexagons, but when the hexagons were pieced together.

I have also liked when the hexagons have been separated with other shapes-- stripes, triangles people have mentioned, or solid hexagons.

So, I'm keeping my eye out for a fabric with the above conditions, and hoping that I find one I can test/play with.

It seems like fabric selection is really key. But I don't see a lot of discussion about that-- here or in instructions.

If I were faced with the hexagons that sewingsuz is faced with, my remorse would be focused on lack of contrast. With the exception of the upper-right hexagon, all of the others are dark or deeply hued. The eye needs a break.

I am guessing, however, from what I've seen so far of others' OBW work is that more variation will be had; just keep going. It sounds like one lesson from OBW creation is: don't make a snap judgment based on nine hexagons.

Keep moving forward, Suz....

-- Jillaine