Thread: Smart Phones
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2011, 08:22 PM
Lisanne

I haven't had much luck with cell phones, so I finally decided to just get one of the best smart phones out there, in the hope that I will like it enough to actually use it. Problem is, I can't really figure out how to use it.

(Last year, I took the advice of people on this board last and got a TracPhone. Loved the monthly renewal card instead of a plan commitment, hated the phone. It barely got a signal when everyone else's worked just fine. And the Internet was almost non-existent, and what I could get to was incredibly hard to use. Customer service/tech support was overseas and completely unhelpful.)

So this time I researched a bit and decided on one of the Androids, a Samsung Epic. It has one of those keyboards that pulls out. I can just about make a call.

1. If a call comes through while I'm on, I hear a ring but I don't know how to put one person on hold and answer the other call.

2. I tried to use Google, and it wanted my phone number and then said it wasn't correct (huh?) and wouldn't let me search anything except phone numbers.

3. I downloaded the Amazon Kindle (not that I want to do much e-reading, but if I'm stuck somewhere, it could be handy). When I tried to download a free book, though, it wanted me to set up an account and things got lost from there...

4. What if I'm reading and the phone rings? How do you answer without losing your place?

5. How do you keep from hitting the screen buttons or the buttons on the side of the phone when you want to change your hand position? I keep losing calls that way.

I don't know, I have a ton more questions. I guess my last one for now is, what kinds of phones do you all have, and how did you ever get comfortable with them?

(And why is it that I'm fine with computers and can't manage these @$#%& phones??!!)