Old 03-25-2011, 10:30 PM
pamkasperi
Banned

Originally Posted by milp04
Hi Pam,

The blocks are looking good.

The lavendar flower print is probably not 100% cotton. For this type of fabric you should probably think about getting a very lightweight fusable interfacing. Fuse to the fabric, then proceed to cut and sew the block together. You can sometimes tell if a fabric will ravel at the ends by testing it in the store by pulling against the cut edge. (Not so nice to do, but better than buying difficult to work with fabric.)

Pam M
Pam M - thanks - I'm trying - I like this pattern and I don't know if purposfully making it busy is good or not but as I said the kids wanted it that way when they saw the really nice quiet pink quilt online.

I pulled on the fabric and when they cut it there was no ravel or anything - even when I cut it - it seemed fine...it wasn't until the needles went in and it just started shredding...

It was on sale so I was out 97 cents for the flower material and $1.15 for the light solid - so I will just redo it with a better material...the part that was frustrating is I knew I'd be handling it alot so I pulled at all the fabric I got first to make sure it didn't stretch or pull....

Oh well live and learn - I'm just glad it was an inexpensive lesson!