View Single Post
Old 09-25-2007, 09:03 AM
mimisharon

In my area it's really hard to get folks to pay what the goods are really worth. One of the things I do, is keep a notebook for the items I'm making. Notes on the cost of fabric, the type of fabric, batting, thread, and each amount of time I work. Sometimes it's in minutes, sometimes in hours.

Then when you want to figure the price:
Total time spent + cost of fabrics, materials, (include needle and blade cost) = amount to X the price per hour you'd like.

It can be intimidating. I once did a short wedding dress with lace appliques, it only cost the gal $350 and she knew she was getting a bargain. I threw in the Tulle long tie on skirt she wanted for the ceremony.

There are lots of costs that folks forget to add in, like meals if you are on a deadline and you have to purchase, get a contract in advance, one gal stiffed me for fabric and dress that I made her. I didn't have a contract so I couldn't take her to small claims. It was only going to cost her $400 for the full skirted, self train, and homemade roses across the neck front. I lived to learn again.

Good topic for a new board.

Can we get a separate board for the BOM, so people can find them easier??????

Thanks,
Sharon