View Single Post
Old 02-20-2009, 08:36 AM
Chele

Originally Posted by butterflywing
chele, i love your colors. they really pop! did you really do it one step at a time or did you cheat and do the whole thing at the end? i never had the patience to wait until the end of one. :oops:

what size did yours finish at? and can you add more blocks to enlarge it? i looked for a finished block size but didn't see that info. what is yours?

would you call it intermediate or advanced? i know you're advanced but i'm not, so i'm thinking this may be too difficult for me without ripping my life away.

last question (i'm really picking your brain today): she talks about shirting on this one and other ones in the past. does she really mean men's shirts, which are tightly woven, or women's shirtings which are really like other cotton fabrics, only striped? i find men's shirtings to be almost like sheets.
butterflywing: I did mostly do the steps in order and started a few days before the New Year.

Mine finished at 74" x 87" once I added 5" borders. You could certainly make more blocks if you wanted the quilt bigger. And/or add more or larger borders. The finished blocks are 9".

I'm only a beginner, but I didn't find the pattern very hard. Challenging for a beginner, but Bonnie's instructions are very helpful.

I believe the shirtings she is referring to are reproduction of men's shirts from the Civil War era. Someone else on the board may have a clearer description.

On a side note, Bonnie does have a great book that explains how she repurposes old cotton shirts, etc. to make her quilts. http://quiltville.com/scrapsandshirttailspreview.shtml

Thanks for all the comments quilters, you make me :oops: !