Old 03-26-2011, 12:12 PM
sewbizgirl
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dar627742
just realized when i looked closely at your avatar that it is the same machine my fiance(sp?)bought me for my b-day last june!have never seen another one according to serial # it is 1909.it is in a treadle table(someone made for it)but it has been changed to electric]still haven't sewn on it,ialso bought a pfaffqe4 that im still trying to learn.
i have never seen any other machine w/the foot screw in the back.didn't come ww/ any acces. but i did send for manual (thanx to billy)
do you use yours,like/love it?would love to hear from someone who knows about this machine!it is beautiful & in great shape(decals,etc)
would appreciate any info you can share!
thanks in advance,dar
Heck yeah, I love it in the extreme... Today I am piecing a quilt on it. My main machine for the past 30 years has been my Bernina Record 830, and the Singer 66 makes nicer stitches and smoother seams. Just beautiful sewing and the sound is so soothing- tickety, tickety when going slow. Mine is a 1908 treadle. If I had yours I'd take the motor off and turn it back to a treadle (SET IT FREE!). I love treadling.

Yeah, these older 66s are "back clamps", or I should say have back clamping feet. Those are harder to find. Because of that, lots of people have changed their pressure foot bar to one that takes side clamping feet, which are plentiful. I like my back clamp and plan to keep it original. I got a lot of feet with the machine and an awesome parlor cabinet. It's also got the Brown Lotus decals, versus just Lotus. I got so blessed when I found this beautiful machine!

You can ask me anything you like about it. You should sew on yours! Put some Liquid Wrench in all the oiling spots, and wherever metal touches metal, let that sit a bit, then clean it out and replace it with new sewing machine oil. You will have to take off the face plate, rear inspection plate, and the bobbin plate to get to everywhere, so while you have them off, also clean the lint and gunk in there. That may be all your machine needs to sew smooth as silk.

Several people on this board have this same machine. I think Billy has one (??), CabbagePatchKid, and several others. A few years later they started putting the Red Eye decals on them, but these Lotuses are early...