Old 03-26-2011, 01:11 PM
ssgramma

Originally Posted by Lacelady
Originally Posted by luce321
What a beauty! Sharon, I was just on e-bay looking at the 221's. When you purchase on e-bay and they state that the machine is in working order, how does one know if it really is? Lucy
When you are asking questions, make the distinction between Working as in the motor makes a noise and the needle goes up and down, and Working as in stitching a recognisable stitch.

If you are told it stitches nicely, perhaps you can ask to see a pic of a sample, but if it is stated that it stitches, then that is what it is supposed to do and you should have some comeback if it doesn't do that.
GREAT response as I am looking for parts so that my modern Home Deluxe by Brother will sew. Motor runs, wheel turns, but there is NO pedal/controller to plug it into. It works but it does NOT sew. I actually define that as NOT working as a sewing machine needs to sew to be considered working IMO.

So, be very careful with the wording. Running is one thing, sewing might be considered optional. The seller actually responded to me with a hilarious "it's an antique about 100 years old and you expect it to work?" Uh, yeah, you SAID it worked.