View Single Post
Old 03-26-2011, 01:31 PM
aborning

Originally Posted by butterflywing
UPDATE: mine, too, is accepting other threads now. i may not have been too good about the tension before. a also bought needles with a larger eye, and bought a heaver weight thread that i want to experiment with.

i saw a good video, i can't remember where, that showed some guy who attached a board right across the front of the quilter, above the quilt itself, but not touching. he placed his panto there and aimed his laser from the front of his machine. that way he was able to see exactly what he was doing. i want to check out the frame and see if i can figure that out.

since last time, i did buy the table extension and that opens up a world of possibilities. your straight edge balances and allows you to stitch perfectly straight lines, although long diagonals are still hard to get right, as on any machine. i also got the open-toe foot, but haven't used it yet. i got them both at all-brands.
the prices were better there than any other place, although the shipping time was awful. maybe that was a one-time thing, i don't know.

i also changed over to the lizzie stitch because i felt i should learn to be versatile. i still don't use it all the time, but at least i use it occasionally.

i have a microhandle, not the real one, and i don't like it. you have to get down to it really, really close, and it's very uncomfortable. i find that if i sit in a chair the right height, i see well enough to steer it properly. and if you get very close, you end up working in your own shadow.

all in all, i still love it. whenever i go to a show, i still try all the others out, and i'm not overly impressed. the bells and whistles would be nice but i just want a reliable machine that i trust to do the job and has good tech support and a nearby dealer.

there was a post recently about setup time. i load the frame in about 30-45 minutes. that's pinning the backing to the leader, pinning and rolling the backing onto the belly bar, and machine basting the batting and top to the backing. i float the batting and the top so i can tweak it as i roll it along. it also includes clamping the sides to ready the whole thing for quilting.

how are you liking yours so far?
I also just bought the extension table last week-from allbrands.com and am very happy with it. I was using templates and stitch in ditch ruler and was having a very hard time without the bigger bse to put it on. Wish I would've bought it right away. My husband in a fabricator so he als made me some micro handles which I really like for micro stippling. They give me more control. Right now, I am very frustrated with the Tin Lizzie because I am having a problem with it Racing right when I start a new area and then when I hit the stop button, it doesn't stop instantly so then I have a couple inches of tiny, tiny stitches to tear out. I have a cutsomer quilt loaded that she wanted tomorrow and now I am at a standstill because I am waiting for a response about it from my Dealer. I just bought my machine in late December and I understand that any machine, any brand, can have issued early on, but I am frustrated to be having an major issue already that is causing me downtime. I work a full time job outside of the home so when I am home to work on customer quilts, every minute is precious time and I don't want my machine down. But I'm sure it will be fixed and then I will be happy. For the price I paid (I got a good deal on it), I figure I can always get most of my money back out of it again someday if I decide not to quilt--or if I get a good customer base going that I decide to upgrade to a longer throat. I have already decided I want a longer throat and will be upgrading as soon as I get this machine paid off. So I will be selling a very good, very new used machine. As I said, my time is precious when I have time to quilt so I would like to spend less time advancing the quilt constantly. And yes, I do feel it is a good machine for someone who is on a budget/or donesn't feel they will be quilting that many quilts that it warrants a commercial machine. I do have the steel Grace Hailey frame with mine which is adjustable for height. Is yours not adjustable or do you have it as low as it can go? You may want to consider changing frames in the future to one that adjusts lower if you are short and need the frame to sit lower.