Old 02-21-2009, 11:39 AM
Margie

Originally Posted by coldtoesinmi
I have not quilted in a long time and I am making a rag quilt to start out. I need some advice on the best pattern for the quilt. I saw an easy one that was just 9 inch squares (8 inch finished), I wondered if that was to large a block for a rag quilt.

I am making this quilt with homespun cotton as a trial because a couple of years ago I planned a rag quilt and bought some of the most beautiful flannel I have ever seen. I do not want to "learn" on that. It cost a couple of hundred dollars. Any advice would be great, I have looked around this site, but I would love some personal stories...

Thanks-

Michelle :D
I have made many raggedy quilts. Log cabin, plain squares, embroidered...I even add Long sashing pieces to them...you just need to "quilt" the sashings pieces more than just an "x" or few lines the way you do to the squares.

I am working on two right now and should have them finished this week. Will post pics. I use a triple stitch to join them...the one that goes forward and backward. I dont use osnaberg in the middle...for me two layers of flannel is warm enough, but the osnaberg really makes the edges "rag/ruffle" prettier.

Margie