Thread: quilting batiks
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2009, 02:48 PM
Prism99
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltease
Hi,
I put together a quilt with batik accents. No problem sewing it together. I put it on my frame and it's skipping all the stitches JUST on the batik. I've tried every needle from 11 to 14, different weights of thread and I'm stumped. I can't take it apart, I haven't time, it's a wedding gift. Aside from taking it off the frame and quilting it on my regular machine what else should I try? I've used batiks before without problems. As I said, it pieced together fine, so it's not the fabric...or is it? HELP!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks,
bev.
I haven't read all of the other posts, so hope I'm not repeating, but I just saw this problem mentioned on the homequiltingsystems group on Yahoo! The solution was to spray the batik fabric with silicone (not the type you get in hardware stores, but the type made for sewing machine threads). Others mentioned using a couple of drops of sewing silicone on the thread spool as an alternative (that would be Sewer's Aid, I think). One person mentioned having to get underneath the frame to spray silicone on the batik backing each time she advanced the quilt; otherwise she got skipped stitches.