View Single Post
Old 03-27-2011, 07:42 AM
Lacelady
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Roxanne
Originally Posted by QuiltswithConvicts
Originally Posted by Ducky
Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
I am glad I am not the only one that found it hard to pull fabs for the blocks, but I thought it was because I had lemon background. I may change that, I know I am dithering... but a gal can if she wants right ?
It's my firm belief that one may dither as long as one wants! :mrgreen:
OK, while you are all dithering, I am joining the JTG club. I have finished the applique of Block 9, so I have JTG'd. I think I'm going to do QAYG, but I'm not sure how large I am going to have my blocks finish up at (horrible grammar.) :?

I was going to do 7", but am considering 7 1/2", 7 3/4" or 8". Can't decide. Because I'm going to do QAYG, I haven't couched the thread yet. Will do it when I quilt. HOWEVER, since I am QAYGing it, I may do bobbin work instead. That is how I have done the Razzle Dazzle before. Couching will be a new adventure.

I hope to have the tute ready by this evening. Taking a boat-load of pics for it, so will need to decide which ones will work & write the text. I need a new camera. I don't think this one takes the best pics, even with the pixels raised up high. It's a Sony & is at least 5 years old & maybe more - I can't remember when I bought it. Paid $379.00 for it, though! It uses a 3.5" floppy for pic storage. We had another one & the power cord went. Wasn't going to spend $60.00 for the cord, so bought a new camera. The prices sure have come down since then!!!

OK, you all can go back to dithering & I'll get back to AOTHing.
Kathy----terms here I don't know-----what is "bobbin work" and "couching" ? also, if you QAYG, will the backing need to be the same as your background color?
I'll jump in here - Bobbin work is where the decorative thread intended for the embroidery is wound on the bobbin (you might have to adjust the screw for tension on the bobbin case, so often people who use this technique have two bobbin cases). The embroidery is then stitched by machine from the back. Since you can't see where you are going from the back, you stitch from the front first with either a thread matching the background, or one of those 'invisible' threads, then when you turn the block over, you have something to follow.

Couching is when the embroidery thread is laid on the surface of the block, and then zig zagged over it to hole it in place. There are feet designed for this for some machines - they have a bar across the front with a hole in it that you can thread your decorative thread through so that it arrives under the needle ready to be stitched over. I have heard of some people without a special foot using a drinking straw taped to the bed of the machine to help guide your thread in place.