View Single Post
Old 03-27-2011, 07:57 AM
heyjami

I'm having fun trying to learn more about this beautiful piece. I'm not an expert and am just reading and following what seems to make sense (so correct me if I'm wrong).

-Batting appears to be hand carded cotton - it is not uniformly thick but varies it's thickness. In some cases it has lost it's batting underneath the quilt where the original stitching was lost and then the batting just slipped apart.

-stitching is about 5 stitches per inch.

-fabrics are very smooth and silky (not feedsack when I compare them to the feedsacks I have). I do agree with the other poster that said it was shirts, aprons, dresses remnants. The pinstriped fabrics are a little different than the rest.

-originally I thought the back was one piece but on closer inspection I can now see that it was pieced as well.

I love the idea that the quilt was a wedding gift! What a special, loving thing to do for a couple.

The Thrift store I bought it from is in a high end, bedroom community and there are a lot of quilters and collectors in the area. I'm almost sure that it was an estate donation by someone's children who didn't know any better. Well, at least they didn't toss it. And now it's in my collection and it will be loved and admired and shared with others as an amazing example of American Art.