Thread: Applique
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2011, 08:06 AM
mac

Originally Posted by sewingladydi
Originally Posted by cherylynne
I use a single silk thread. I do needle turn applique and the stitches are almost invisible. If you want the stitches to show, as in a buttonhole edge stitch, you can use one strand of regular cotton thread in a contrasting or coordinating color.

Do you use a neutral like gray or beige or do you match the color to the applique piece? I'm starting on needle turn and using guterman cotton (50 weight), but my stitches are not as invisible as I'd like.

Someone suggested to use the 60 weight cotton thread and someone else suggested the Masterpiece threads from Connecting threads.
I like to use silk thread, as the thread is very fine and really light weight. When I first started using the thread I found it difficult to handle as the thread has a tendency to slip out of the needle a lot. Here are a couple of hints for using silk thread:

You will need to buy some 'Thread Heaven'. It comes in a small cobalt blue box that I would guess is about 1" by 1" in size. This is a thread conditioner that you can use on all threads to help keep them from knotting/tangling while sewing. It works especially well on silk thread because it gives the thread a little more weight and keeps it from being so 'fly-away".

When you applique a piece you always use single thread, unless you are outlining the piece as in doing a blanket stitch for decoration work. However, for decoration I usually use pearl cotton for that.

When you thread your needle, never use a thread longer than your forearm. If the thread is too long it will just tangle and wear thin in some places and have a tendency to break. When you are rolling the thread off the spool, hold the end of the thread in your fingertips and cut the thread at your elbow.

After threading your needle with silk thread, bring the needle to about 2 inches from the end of the thread and tie a double knot at the end of the needle. Knotting your thread at the needle will hold the thread in place so that the thread won't slip off the needle. The silk knot will be fine enough that you won't even notice the knot going through the fabric. Trust me on this. Before I started knotting the needle, I can't tell you how many times I realized that I was sewing with an empty needle.

As for color, the silk thread is so fine I rarely match my thread to the project. Silk thread has a tendency of melting into the fabric and takes on the color of the piece you are sewing with. I usually buy: white, taupe, grey and black. Once in a while you will need to buy a particular color, but not very often. Just remember that when you make your stitches, your needle should be placed straight down, right next to the edge of the piece you are sewing or just a micrometer under the edge of the fold of where you are sewing. In either case, it will keep your stitches hidden.

Hope this bit of information helps.