View Single Post
Old 03-28-2011, 05:12 AM
candi

I am new to the quilting/sewing world. Started quilting two or so years ago and was buying fabric for projects as needed. But about six months or so ago, I felt the need and urge to build a stash. I wanted to participate in the doll quilt swap here on the board, I started wanting to design my own quilts and just make things up as I go, and I am afraid that is all hard to do if you have to go shop every time. So I started buying fabrics that appeal to me in a yard or more cuts. Organzied them and I love every single piece of them.

However, being a minimalist, and someone who can't handle clutter, I had to have a plan of what fabrics to buy for stash. After some thinking, I decided that I will not be buying any novelty prints of any sort just to stash, I'd stay away from prints for special occasions or seasons just for stash and I'd mainly only get it what I call "common" fabrics, the ones that can be used in any quilt, for any purpose, and buy those in varying colors. Being a batik lover, I bought batiks, tonals, blenders and some florals since I love those. I don't have much, less than 100 yards in total, but they organized and they give me a sense of freedom that I adore.

I was just having this conversation with my husband not long ago when I was working on my first OBW and it need some umph, and I was able to just walk into the closet and pull fabs of the colors I wanted and viola, no need to interrupt my mojo by going to the store,lol.

Sorry long post, but my two cents worth.