View Single Post
Old 03-28-2011, 06:29 AM
Favorite Fabrics

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

I've been reading the "fabric snob" thread and got to wondering whether I too have become a "snob"... then decided that no, it's not being snobby if you're just trying to make sure that you get excellent quality, and can define exactly what quality is.

The particular case I am thinking of is solid white/cream/bone fabric. I'm very brand loyal to Kaufman's Kona cotton, because the weave of the fabric is consistently even (very few slubs) but more importantly, no odd colored threads woven in.

I have purchased other brands at the chain stores, and found that I could scarcely find a one-yard piece that did not have those colored threads in it. Usually they were red, but sometimes black or gray. You'd think it would not be a big deal, a single fiber wrapped around the thread as it was spun, and then woven into the cloth. But every one of them just jumps right out at you, in such a light colored cloth.

My question is for you all is, what other brands beside Kona cotton have you tried (in white or other light colors) and did you find that they were perfect, or did they have the little threads or other flaws in them? Kona's price has gone up a lot lately, and it may be that not everyone here on the forum will be able to afford it... and it would be providing a good service, if those of you who have tried other brands could chime in about what you tried, and whether you liked those brands or not.