View Single Post
Old 03-28-2011, 02:23 PM
k_jupiter

Originally Posted by Mattee
There is an in-between here. There are those of us who do consider our audience quite carefully, but whose husbands, brothers, fathers, sons, or what-have-you do not fall into the macho stereotype when it comes to their aesthetic sense.

The women on this board have a very wide diversity of tastes. Why shouldn't men share the same diversity?

Of course. I said specifically that I am not everyman. And I am not very Macho. And I have no issues with select floral prints in a quilt. But that is very different than a Grandma's Flower Garden or other type of applique fruffie quilt. And yes, there are men out there who might just like them. (And they all moved away from him on the Group W bench). But not many.

By the same token, if you look at my quilts, the ones made for me are dark, vibrant, intense, geometric, chaotic... and the ones I make for others are tailored to the audience, whether that be large florals (yes me, I did a Log cabin with florals, rose colors, yellows, etc!) or space ships (for a large baby), or whatever. But, I thought about my audience and didn't have the attitude that "It's my way or the hiway."

So whatever. Thanks for the discussion. Your quilting may now resume.

tim in san jose