View Single Post
Old 03-29-2011, 06:19 AM
omak

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
I was on google for awhile before making the original post. i kept trying to search on till + cotton fabric, garden + cotton fabric etc. but had a brain burp and didn't try looking under compost. I just did and cotton fabric is one of the items listed under many sites as being good to add to your compost pile, so looks like another use for all those crumbs too small to quilt with.
As long as you don't let the fabric clump together, it should break down, obviously, but the other thing it will do is keep the soil from packing together (as in, too much sand in the soil) and the batting should hold moisture so your plants have more access to water, longer. Good to know and think about the composting issue.
The thing about composting, especially if you are just starting out - - it gets hot as it breaks down which is why putting compost directly in your garden can be a problem - - however, I don't think fabric would have that same issue. Without the chemicals on it, it is still not in the same category as rotting fruit and fresh manure. Cotton and wool is more like hair in the composting process - - I am not sure how those items break down, but I do know that they are not considered "hot" ... this will be an interesting thread to keep track of. <wave>