View Single Post
Old 02-23-2009, 08:42 PM
butterflywing

i'm working on an all-silk log cabin. the blocks will not be identical, but will be distinctly dark/ light with bright yellow centers(i have a lot). i chose this because the tie fabric goes a long way when cut into strips, both long and short, with little waste. because silk is so stretchy, i will foundation-piece. that way i won't worry too much about grain.

so far i have washed the ties hot water in a lingerie bag, dried them in the bags in the dryer - i don't like surprises, , and then taken them completely apart. i recommend strongly washing all the reds separately. i had a lot of bleeding, but what i have now is safe whatever happens to the quilt. i then starched and ironed the ties. before i knew it, my children were asking all their co-workers, who were asking their family members for silk ties. what i got was a riot of silk stuff. ties, underwear, shirts, blouses, dresses, even men's boxers. everything got put through the washing-drying-ironing regime. i take everything apart, press it and store it. when i have 500 lbs. of the stuff, i'll start putting it all back together in a new and unrecognizable form. wish us both luck.

seriously, i think log cabins on foundations is the way to go. fast, easy, and least wasteful.