View Single Post
Old 03-29-2011, 02:01 PM
pab58

Originally Posted by IdahoSandy
Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
Has anyone here ever grown an African violet from a leaf? My Grandma has an absolutely Beautiful purply- blue one.....would love to borrow a leaf and make a plant? Does it take a long time?!
It is very easy to grow African Violet leaves. Cut a leaf from the middle of that plant using a sharp knife and cut at an angle. I use a small juice glass or simular size container. Put water in up almost to the top, then I take clear wrap and a rubber band to hold it in place. Cut a small hole in the top to stick the leaf in. Put in a north window or window that is shaded as you do not want to cook your leaf in the sun. When it gets several roots, then buy African Violet potting soil, along with African Violet plant food. Use a smaller pot to begin with because Violets will not bloom unless pot bound. Water from the bottom only. Good luck.
IdahoSandy
My mom and I used to do this all the time. However, you forgot one step. Mom and both grandmas always said that in order for it to grow into a beautiful plant, you had to steal the leaf from someone else's plant! :lol: :lol: :lol: AND you couldn't tell them you took it, or the leaf wouldn't sprout! :lol: :lol: