View Single Post
Old 03-29-2011, 03:33 PM
frugalfabrics

Originally Posted by OmaForFour
The reason I am concerned is that the reports yesterday said that the radiation was now travelling on the ocean water around Japan. It could spread south. Today's news is not good either. They are on ultimate alert today. One of the reactors is leaking radiation somehow somewhere.
Yesterday in Massachusetts there was a report of one town whose water supply is almost completely rainwater and their test for radiation showed increased levels. They said it was from the Japanese situation.
I just want to be as safe as I can be. I am not trying to put another country down in anyway but I fear making something from fabric like that, and giving it to my grandchildren, would just be an increase in what they are exposed to. Children are more susceptible to this than adults. I would not want my GKs wrapped in a quilt made from fabric from Japan that I could buy 6 months from now.
I am just being very cautious. There are other countries in the near vicinity of Japan whose products I will not buy in the near future. What is on the shelves now is fine.

Originally Posted by Gaijin
Do you know for a fact that any of the fabric mills in Japan are anywhere near the troubled nuclear power plant? Most of the heavy factory areas that I know about in Japan are in the far south of Honshu. You make it sound like all of Japan will be full of radiation in the near future and that everything will be contaminated. I think it's a good idea not to overreact concerning what is happening here.
The news media likes to put people in a panic...don't believe everything you hear...FOX news use to be the most believable, but they are all pretty much the same now...the government pretty much controls them all.