Old 03-29-2011, 10:37 PM
tammy cosper

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by juneayerza
Hello Everyone,

I am very new to quilting and I'm teaching myself through online tutorials and books. I've seen a lot of you talking about using an old treddle machhine for your quilt tops. I have a treddle which was my late MIL's, but it needs a fair amount of restoration. Before I spend, can you please tell me the advantage of using the treddle and what kind of work you use it for.

Thanks All
I do it all on a treadle from the tops to doing the FMQ and the binding! I have a central treadle mounted under a bench that when the leaf is in place it is 36x140 work surface. I also have different plates that I can put in the central hole and use different machines.

The advantage in my own opinion is that you have a piece of living history in your hands and somehow you can see and feel the love that was put into it. For me its like I stepped back into time and I am back in the golden age of the sewing machine. Everything stops for me and I am in another world listening to the little squeaks and clunks of the treadle, and the sound of the machine as its running. Time stands still!!

Billy
I just love this! I know this feeling. It's like you feel a link to the people from the past.
Thanks for sharing.
Tammy