View Single Post
Old 03-30-2011, 04:27 AM
Quilter54

Originally Posted by milp04
Originally Posted by yolanda
I am going camping and am considering bringing along one of those inexpensive battery operated sewing machines to do some piecing. Has anyone used one? Have any recommendations?

Hi Yolanda,

Typically sewers are not happy with these sewing machines.

You could find out if your camping site is equipped with electric and take a 3/4 size machine depending on how long you plan on camping.

This might be a good time to start a hand project to take along camping. There are several great options. One would be the GFG, Grandmother's Flower Garden. It's a great take along. The Cathedral Window is another hand sewing project. It can be started at home by machine and then worked by hand when away from home, another take along.

There are several others that would be something to check into but I'm not able to put a name to them at this time. I'll repost if I think of them later.

I personally like to spend outdoor time with some sort of handwork. I like the quietness of camping. I like to do redwork type stitching and have several in different colors so I don't get bored. I'm also thinking of starting a GFG to use up small scrap sizes. There was a nice posting of someone who had a nice plastic container to take along her project as she traveled.

Good luck, enjoy camping.

Pam M
The posting you are talking about inspired me to start GFG. I am in the Bahama's right now & my project is with me. We also camp & this will be my take along project.