View Single Post
Old 03-30-2011, 04:51 AM
Ann Marie O

Originally Posted by Great-great granny
Originally Posted by Ann Marie O
I had an old settee refinished/reupholstered last summer and in the process, we found this old piece of quilted material used in the stuffing. I know the settee was built for my great grandfather around 1900-1910 so this quilt had to be old at that time. The man who did my settee felt the quilt was probably from the Civil War days. My question is "What do I do with it?" I am looking for suggestions. I had thought of using it as a mat an old picture frame and putting our family tree centered on it but the frames are too shallow and don't leave any air space between the quilt and glass, so decided not to do that. I think the only thing I could do is use a shadow box type of display with something in front of it. Although the quilt is in bad shape, it is amazing how bright some of the fabrics still are. What do you think?
VERY INTERESTING - The little piece in the center looks like from the same "family" as a part of a piece of material in the upper right area of the 2nd pic - it is white w/a dark (black?) "greek" type design in it????

I think I might take it to a frame maker & get suggestions - possibly a box type w/a place for the story of the piece on it & a few other "old" small pieces you might have inherited from that side of the family placed in the bottom???

Anyway would love to see the finished product when you decide - I'm sure it will be an outstanding treasure for you.

I also LOVE the way you had the setee finished - looks so appropriate. What a wonderful inheritance. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
The piece is black and white - Greek type design. I have had a frame maker look at it and he suggested using the shadow box and keeping the whole piece in it with photos, mementos, etc in front of it or even using my family tree with it too.