View Single Post
Old 03-30-2011, 01:38 PM
Celeste

Originally Posted by weasier22
our wonderful Harley. He's in dog heaven for the last two years & I miss him dearly.

We haven't gotten another dog yet. Maybe there will come a day when I can have another...miss Harley too much.
I sure know what you mean! To my memory, we had more than one dog and when one passed away there was always another to comfort me.

When I worked for my veterinarian father I met a few people that would say "this is the last one, I can't go through this anymore." (Though most did go on to get another.) I couldn't understand how they could live without all the pleasure having a dog gives. That is, until Buddy passed away. There was no other dog to turn to, and this was the first time, that I can recall, that I knew we had a sick dog. (He had a heart problem.) After he died, I suddenly understood what those people were talking about. I couldn't deal with the grief and just closed off my heart. When my sister came home from school she insisted we needed another. Even after nearly nine months from Buddy's passing, when Dawn located another Doberman and we brought her home, I was still aloof. On the ride back my Mom insisted I got to name her. It took a few months, but Mahana finally won me over, and my first post gives you "the rest of the story."