View Single Post
Old 03-31-2011, 07:50 AM
lynnie k

thanks for the info I will try this way. I tried to make the small piece from freezer paper but the inside of the scroll doesn't give me enough to turn under I will practice this scroll before I attempt to ruin the block. Hope this doesn't take me a lifetime to master thanks for your help I will let you know how I am doing with this block thanks again lynn
Originally Posted by Lacelady
Originally Posted by lynnie k
sorry it is block #17 having a fit with this block
Anything in particular I can help with? i.e. if my pics don't make sense? At least with that particular scroll, you don't have to get it down right to a point, because it can tuck under the other shape that covers up the end.

Also, because you can't necessarily line it up exactly, don't snip right into the inside of the curl until you get there. Try cutting out the scroll from your paper copied design, putting it onto your fabric and tracing round it, then lining it up in place over the traced line on your background. I usually put a pin in the fatter part of the scroll (from the back so my thread doesn't catch on it) just to help hold it in place. Then I start from the base of the scroll. If you are a rightie, start at the bottom of the scroll that is heading in towards the inside of the curl. Start on the other (outer) side if you are a leftie.

I do find going round the outside edge of a scroll a little easier than beginning on the inside, but it all depends on which way the scroll is going, and which hand is dominant.

Either way, as you approach that inner point, just snip a little bit at a time until you get right to the change of direction. You will only have a few threads to tuck under, and will have to put several tiny stitches at that point to secure everything before you go down the last 'side' - hope that helps.