View Single Post
Old 03-31-2011, 09:40 AM
JudyG

Originally Posted by BATIKQLTR
I just received my book, so while waiting for the DVD on embroidery, I thought I would take a stab (and I do mean stab) at the "stem" stitch. I think I need a longer needle, less thread, consistent size stitches and definitely how to change directions and start. Should have taken the thread to the back to finish I think.

Once I feel comfortable with this, then I can start putting some batiks together. I need to go to Joann's and get some dark for the background and some needles.

Any suggestions are very welcome..................
Linda, I don't think that looks bad at all, especially for a very first attempt. Needles are really interesting things. For applique, I like a longer needle that's not too thick. For the embroidery, I like a little shorter needle with a larger eye (I am using 3 strands of floss for the red on my blocks. I wanted it a little thicker than I was getting with 2 strands.) Once you do it for a bit, you will notice your stitches evening out. I take a peek at the back of mine to see how even my stitches are once in awhile. I'm sure someone with a lot more expertise than I have will be along soon with some more suggestions for you. Hang in there, you're doing great.