View Single Post
Old 04-01-2011, 02:57 AM
Candy Apple Quilts

Originally Posted by adorabowe

Anyway I was just wondering if it's likely to just be my method (I cut kneeling down mostly) or if it's possible it's my rotary mat? I bought the cheapest/largest one I could afford and it didn't specify whether it was self-healing but I'm thinking it's not. Could the mat be blunting my blades as soon as I use them?
If you are kneeling down, I'll guess that your mat is on the floor. What's under it? Carpet, vinyl, or concrete? If you have carpet under your mat, that's not a firm enough surface and you will have to make your cuts two or three times. Even a vinyl floor is not enough support, because there are areas where the vinyl is higher and lower.

Have you tried cutting on your kitchen table or counter? It's much easier on your back, and provides a more stable surface for your mat. I'd try that first before I bought a new mat. Also, there are mats made by Fiskers that work well, but you can feel the difference between those mats and the Olfa mats --- the Olfa's are self-healing, where the Fiskers aren't. But both work for cutting. So.... I'm thinking it's what's UNDER the mat that makes the difference.