Old 02-26-2009, 07:14 PM
BlueChicken

Having said that, circles, rectangles, and triangular blocks would not be good! LOL ;-)

The comment about wanting to wrap yourself up in love made me want to cry. I made a quilt last year for my nephew, he's 8 years old, out of his late father's t-shirts. It was a massive undertaking, to be done in a really short time, and was emotionally very very difficult. His father (my sister's husband) died of cancer at age 34 just three years ago. When I had finished I was so pleased with the quilt, but I didn't think that my nephew would really understand the significance of it, or appreciate it. But when he went into surgery to have his own cancer removed, the doctors wrapped him in his quilt and he said to them "it's like having daddy's arms around me".

He doesn't notice the odd point that didn't line up, he doesn't notice where two colours ended up next to each other, he doesn't see any imperfections. All he sees is a quilt made out of his daddy's clothes, by his aunty, with so much love. And it will always be special.

It's that age old saying...

"the whole is greater than the sum of its parts."

Taken individually, each block is nothing special, some are complex, some have minor faults, some are plain . But put them all together, and you have something special, something way bigger than just 12 blue and white star blocks.