View Single Post
Old 04-01-2011, 04:06 PM
MTS
Banned

I know these aren't from Miami county but from the first page in your link, but the same holds true (plus I already wrote it out before I saw the other link ;-) )

Let's take the first 3 in Indiana.

The Hunter's star breaks down into a 2x2 layout - so each of the 4 units would be 4" each. And each of the 4 HST's within each patch would be 2".

The next is the abstract one - 4 blocks in a 2x2 layout - again, each of those blocks would be 4" each.

So no problems so far.

The fans would be the same - each fan patch would be 2" each, 4 would make 1/4 of the total block.

Now, you might decide that making 16 of those multi-pieced 2" fan blocks is insane. I wouldn't disagree with that. And so maybe you might be do that block to be only 4 4" fan blocks, or even 1 fan in the 8" block.

That can apply to the previous 2 blocks as well.

But so far we're dealing with everything that easily fits within an 8" block.

You know, I just quickly went through the photos. It seems, because the boards are 4'x4', that most of the blocks do fit an even layout (2x2,4x4, 6x6) - iow, the calculations to make them fit into an 8" block without needing a calculator.

Let's skip down to the 38-10 in Iowa - this block is on a 7x7 grid.

There are some, like the Ohio Star 11-02 in Maryland, that's on a 9 patch (3x3 layout). But it has the border on it, so the fudge can be done there - if you decide you want to include those borders (I've noticed them on quite a few).

So the oddballs are the ones that have to be resized, or as I said upthread, make the blocks to the size that's the easiest, and deal with it in the setting of the blocks into the quilt tops.

I'm not a huge fan of quilts with the blocks is a straight setting with 2" sashing. They bore me. To tears.

Anyway, I can print out a lot of these in EQ if you want the patterns, the majority are pretty standard.

I think it would be a terrific project, and a tremendous learning experience. Sort of like your own personal Dear Jane.

PM if you want more info.