Old 04-02-2011, 11:25 AM
ghostrider

Originally Posted by Veronica
Can you tell me what is your favorite book for quilt block patterns?
I'm looking for one that has traditional quilt block that doesn't use a scant quarter inch.
I have so much trouble with the scant quarter inch, my block are always off.
I know that it's my error but it's just frustrating, it's taking the fun out of making them.
When I need a 12 inch finished block it comes out 12" unfinished, not 12 1/2" as required.
I need one that will allow me to use a quarter inch seam, so that I will stop wasting fabric, money and time.
Thank you in advance for your answer.
The difference between a scant ¼" and a regular ¼" is only about a sixteenth of an inch and would not result in you losing a half inch off your unfinished block measurement. Test the width of your ¼" seams when you use your piecing foot. You could just need to adjust your needle position.

If I read your question correctly, you are looking for something that shows you how to sew an accurate 12½" unfinished block, is that correct? A book such a Malone's is simply a compilation of block designs, not a how-to book at all. There are many tutorials online on accurate seam allowances, try searching through some of those for help.

And stick with it...quilting IS fun and once you get the basics down pat, you'll have a ball!!