Old 04-03-2011, 03:18 AM
cabinfever

Congrats on your "new" machine. You will be very happy with it. I have both a FW 221 in black & a 301 in tan; got both @ a great price from a friend who has a houseful of vintage machines. I am very sentimental about remembering my grandma & great aunt sew on the black singers. Yet after using my 2 vintage machines, I don't think of the tan ones as such "an ugly duckling" anymore; the lighter surface is easier on the eyes to see what you're doing. I love them both, 221 for piecing & classes, the 301 for FMQ (feed dogs drop). I have about 6 other machines, newest being a mid-priced Viking, but I find I like the feel & sound of the vintage Singers best. If I need a fancy stitch I use the Viking.
I also bought some 221 & 301 parts from "April's 1930 shop" on Ebay & would highly recommend her in confidence based on several experiences there. Others may be a little less, but you won't need to question the accuracy of condition, & specifics, as you may for the odd-lot seller.

BTW, my great-aunt is still living & stopped working at age 96 (seamstress for 70+ years), still sharp as a tack at 98! She made all of the families clothes on an old black Singer 201 (the greatest full-size singer made), as well as sewing men's suits & wedding gowns (career). Favorite aunt:)