View Single Post
Old 04-03-2011, 10:33 AM
Rose_P

Not long ago on the Alzheimer's Art Quilts Initiative site I happened to see the method for making triangular pockets on the backs of mini quilts. That's a great idea but it seems to add quite a lot of bulk to the corners of a quilt, and might make it less functional as a table mat, mug rug or doll quilt. Today I remembered something from sewing class in 8th grade (eons ago): hand sewn button loops. Rather than create a tutorial for something for which I have not perfected my skills because I just made one for the first time in about 50 years, I thought I'd just pass this along:
http://ysolda.com/support/pictorial-...-button-loops/

These loops could be placed a little lower so that they don't show on the front of the quilt at all. A small nail or hook in the wall would be all that's needed for hanging the quilt. If the quilt is wide enough to be floppy, you could slip a dowel or drinking straw through a couple of loops so that you can still hang it from just one nail.

Rather than this method that resembles a buttonhole stitch, you could crochet a chain. For an even less time-consuming way, just make a small loop of crochet cotton or narrow ribbon and sew it along the seam of your binding in the back, reinforcing with a few back stitches. Obviously, this is only good for a quilt that is small and light weight, but I'm hoping some others will find it useful.