Old 04-03-2011, 01:16 PM
BKrenning

Most homes are central air & heat now days so wood isn't really a problem and if your home or building that you're putting a frame in isn't central HVAC--it can always be sealed.

I would not put such a small throated machine on any frame. Search for a used Juki TL-98, Brother 1500, Janome mc1600, Pfaff GHQ and I believe there is also a Babylock very similar to the previous three--Quilters something? They all have a 9" throat which would be my bare minimum throat size.

I started with an Elna 7200 on a B-Line Studio frame. The Elna is a fancier computerized machine than what you need on a frame but I wanted a machine that would do both fancy stuff off the frame and plain old straight stitch on the frame. It's a fraternal twin to the Janome mc6500.

How much space do you have to setup a frame in? Do you want or need to be able to easily take it down & set it up? How much are you willing to spend? How big is the biggest quilt you plan to load on it if space isn't an issue? The answers to theses questions will narrow down your options.

As for stitch regulators and/or speed regulators--I had neither when I started. I taped my foot control onto the handles and regulated my own speed and stitch length. There wasn't anything available for my Elna back then and I wouldn't have paid $500 for a cruise control (QCC) even if it had been available. I'm so tight I squeak!

I now have a Voyager 17 with SLR (Stitch Length Regulator) and I can see how it makes quilting so much easier & enjoyable but I still don't think I'd pay extra for it. I got the Voyager on a ProFlex frame, used, off ebay at a super bargain price. If you know what you're looking for and keep a sharp eye on ebay and craigslist--it will eventually show up.