View Single Post
Old 09-29-2007, 04:57 AM
Cathe

And that's a good point - unless you are willing to really pour yourself into making this your entire life, you aren't going to make much money at it. I make grocery money and some spending money, and that's what I need, so I am content. I can build up my client base and increase my prices as my reputation grows, but because quilts take a while to make, I'm never going to get rich or even steadily support myself doing it.

You will only make real money at it if you design patterns and fabric, write books and become a "celebrity quilter". In order to do that, you need to get hooked into that group. The best place to start, if that is your goal, is at Quilt Market. That's where you make contacts. That's not what I want for my life. Also, I am not willing to be part of that culture. It's very high-pressure, and it's a lot like those snobby quilt guilds you have been hearing about. I want to be able to minister to ladies who can't afford quilt shop fabric! I like teaching people HOW to make quilts, which is different than guiding them through one particular pattern to make a quilt.