Old 04-04-2011, 01:54 AM
Lobster

I've done a couple of things where it's actually an advantage to be left-handed. With fencing, playing a leftie is entirely different. It tends to throw right-handed players, because they don't play lefties often, but the left-handed players play right-handed people all the time so they're used to it and have the advantage. When two lefties play one another, they're equally disadvantaged. I only did fencing for about a year when I was eleven, though, we all dropped out due to a dodgy fencing teacher.

Then I took up percussion, and it's definitely advantageous to be left-handed there as well. Right-handed people have a very dominant right hand because they use it for everything, and when you first learn to use drum sticks you'll find that your right hand is bobbing up about twice as high as your left hand, so that you get a much louder sound when you hit the drum with your right hand, and you have to work very hard to get them even. If you're left-handed, you're used to using your right hand for quite a lot as it's a pretty right-handed world, so the strength of your hands is far more balanced.

Anyway, I'm right-handed myself, but I do have a quilt book which gives clear instructions with photos for lefties. Check out the Better Homes and Gardens Complete Guide to Quilting, which you can find at http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/069...cm_rdp_product, but do check the critical reviews (you can spot mine, it's been voted the most helpful critical one) as there are a few serious flaws with this book. Once you know what they are, it's a pretty useful book, it covers a lot, and the leftie stuff is quite unusual, I believe.