View Single Post
Old 04-04-2011, 05:55 AM
NanaCsews2

I also have used Heat n Bond for applique. This is how I learned to do applique. I use the zig zag satin stitch on my machine and the quilts have been washed with no problems. My machine also has the applique stitch that I have used on quilts and wallhangings. The stitches you have used are wonderful for wallhangings. They add texture and character. I think you are doing what all 'learners' do, so you are on your way! It takes lots of block scraps and different edges of applique and practice. You may even come up with your own signature stitch and technique. I personally wouldn't do the main project until you have the stitch you are looking for. (It is no fun ripping stitches or having to discard anything. Also, those 'throwaways' can be used toward doll quilts, scrap quilts, dog beds, etc.) For quilts that take a lot of use, especially childrens, it would be beneficial to take the time to learn to do needle turning. The edges of the applique are more secure, and if the project is a gift, you wouldnt have to be concerned about the receiver washing it.