View Single Post
Old 04-04-2011, 07:11 AM
QKO

Originally Posted by ckcowl
kind of sad how some shop owners behave like gas station owners behave...a rumor goes around and they run around raising all their prices....
it makes no sense for a shop to raise the prices of the fabrics already on their shelves- they did not pay the higher prices for it- the higher prices should only be effecting new fabrics that are coming in at a higher price. funny how some gas stations hear- "oh-oh oil went up today" and respond with- we better go raise our prices---
IT IS PRICE GOUGING PEOPLE- and i would not frequent a shop who was doing this- really seems un-ethical---and to lower themselves to the standards of (oil barons) is really sad. i am so happy the 3 shops close to me are not behaving so poorly
Some shops may be doing this, I don't know about others. Most of us are trying to price product based on what we have to pay for it, plus meet our overhead.

It's also irritating to us when it seems our suppliers are raising prices on in-stock goods. We have a lot of basics that we know have come into their warehouses at lower prices, and when the new prints come out they raise the prices on everything in the line instead of just the new ones.

However, a lot of that is new, reprint stock that is coming in at much higher prices.

What your local shop is doing isn't price gouging, it's trying to survive. They're trying to keep their average prices down by spreading their price increases over a lot more goods rather than just having their new stuff sit there because the prices on those are so much higher than their older goods.