View Single Post
Old 04-04-2011, 07:54 AM
StitchinJoy

Originally Posted by quiltmaker101
A lot of us are concerned about the lack of shops selling fabrics, and the prices in general, so I have a challenge for everyone. Let's see how many of us can make a quilt from just our scraps and small stash pieces within the next year. Backing is up to you whether you purchase or are really thrifty/creative with what you already have!

The thinking here is to be like the women who quilted in pioneer days. They had no shops nearby and had to save worn out shirts and dresses or feedsacks to make a quilt. We can do that too!
I just finished this top that I started at Christmas break, a Chimneysweep pattern made from scraps of white cotton and white muslin, and my red reproduction fabric stash.

I didn't have enough white for backing so I bought 4 yards on the sale table at a quilt guild show last week. It was $3 a yard. And when I got it home and unfolded it to wash it, i discovered it's 108" wide! Woohoo! I love other quilters' leftovers!

I plan to baste this top on the longarm but then hand quilt it. I can't afford a beautiful antique red and white quilt like those shown in NYC last week in the Museum of American Folk Art's exhibit. So I guess I will make my own! How's that for pioneer spirit?

Red repro Chimneysweep top
[ATTACH=CONFIG]179507[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-179501.jpe