Thread: Washing Quilts
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2011, 08:01 AM
Mo_Chride

I do but all of my quilts have been meant to be used (all seven of them so far). Five of them have been baby quilts and two of them have been twin sized for children's beds.

I have ended up marking many of them with the blue wash away pen for my quilting since I am still learning. Also, five of them I have used the spray basting since they had minke for a backing and washing them washed that away and made them "softer".

I wash in cold with light detergent and vinegar to really ensure that the colours are set (I prewash the fabric with vinegar too and over dry the fabric to try to get as much shrinkage out as possible). Then I air dry the quilt.

What happens once the quilt is out of my hands, I can't control but I like that flatter finish rather than the more vintage wrinkled look so I try to get as much shrinkage out before I sew and try to minimize shrinkage once I am finished.

Washing also gets rid of the stray loose threads so I don't have to go over it as carefully picking away loose threads. Any left after washing need to be clipped carefully but at least I know which ones need to be clipped versus gentle tugging pulling them right out.

Tara